[IPOL discuss] Ipol articles

Simon Loic simon1lolo at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 14:53:07 CET 2011

Thanks all for your feedback. Please if you report a problem, click on the
"get link" button and provide the produced URL so that we can observe the
issue as well :).

Jose Luis, I understand your reservation: why bother to create a pdf viewer
when there are so many of
them (e.g. the Adobe Acrobat) freely available? In fact, the first
embedding solution can use the Adobe plugin if you have it installed. The
reason why we tried alternatives was with respect to users that would not
have a plugin installed.

I agree with Nicolas' preferences among the 3 embedding solutions but I
wish we had more opinions on that matter. One issue with pdfjs also, you
can not select text and copy/paste it. But pdfjs is under development, so
that might be fixed some day. I also agree that we should try in the same
page layout as current Ipol articles, with the 3 tabs, etc. Though I don't
know how to do that. Nicolas, can you help me on this?

As Jean-Michel pointed out, we agreed that Latex+pdf was a must-have for
the sake of the authors comfort and more importantly the fact that pdf are
a natural way to distribute papers (think of google scholar and the like).

Now Jose Luis is right about the many advantages of an html rendering of
the article. But then I don't think the pdf produced by Nicolas is
acceptable. Personally I'd rather have a nice pdf generated with Latex
(that will be embedded in the web site and available for download), than a
nice html article associated with a bad quality pdf.

This said, rephrasing what Rafael has already mentioned, it is still
possible to impose more restrictions on the latex file to be able to
generate both a pdf and html. But this would require much more trial and
error effort. Another possible way is to let the authors free to produce
any latex and then have someone responsible to adapt it manually to a
wiki+mathjax. Well, to be honest I hope that guy won't be me...

We have to face a choice, that apparently cannot be much delayed: shall we
give the green light for latex submissions? Here my two cents on how we
could handle the situation, given its emergency. I support Latex
submissions so that current authors can forget about the wiki language.
Then we can soon enough provide them the Ipol class. Until a better
solution is found to render the article on the Ipol web site, we can embed
the pdf with one of the three solutions proposed so far (or as Nicolas
suggested with a combination of them) and have a download link.

This way we would have a system that is in my opinion rather satisfying,
since usually only pdfs are distributed by scientific journals. Besides, we
can evaluate how bad (or let be optimistic, how good) pdf embedding work
with ipol articles and decide at leisure on the necessity of another
solution.

Happy new year!
--
Loïc