[IPOL discuss] Time out

Miguel.Colom at cmla.ens-cachan.fr Miguel.Colom at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Mon Feb 7 13:27:08 CET 2011

>> And the window that appears in case of time out with "Error 504: Gateway
>> Timeout. This part of IPOL Is Temporary unavailable ... " is
>> inaccurate since this is generally interrupted by time out and not a
>> server error.
>
> This page should never appear. The shortest answer is: «demos should
> properly use the timeout system». The detailed answer starts with a
> little explanation about the demo system network and timeout. See the
> end of this message for an answer in 3 sentences.

I think it'd be nice if the final web users could see a percentage of the
progression of the computations of the algorithm.

Most of them consist on repeated operations inside one or more loops and
the program can overwrite a text file with that percentage. It's very
simple, and of course it doesn't have to be mandatory for all the
publications.

The page could poll this value every 10 seconds for example and update a
progress bar.

It is very easy to implement and I think that this is needed to make the
user feel that the algorithm is really being computed and when is it going
to finish.