[IPOL discuss] published articles

Daniel Kondermann daniel.kondermann at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Feb 25 13:50:21 CET 2011

Hi,

> Technically speaking who is ready to organize these forums for the
> first published papers?
I think this raises the question of the web framework. I have looked a
bit deeper into that topic, but I have the feeling, that the choice is
rather arbitrary/difficult.
Basically, I think there are three questions:

-Should it be a web framework like Django or Rails or should it instead
be a content management system (CMS) like typo3 or zope?

I think if we want user interaction a CMS can be very limiting, but I am
not into the details. I definitely think we should have something we can
modify and extend easily, so I would opt for a web framework.

-The second question will be on which language the system should run. I
think there are at least Ruby, Python, (server side)JavaScript, Perl,
PHP and Java. For each language there is at least one system which
offers all functionality we need.

-So I guess the third question is who is going to do the job, because
he/she has to invest quite some time to make interactive stuff like
forums possible (define styles, install modules/plugins, extend plugins
for review-specific workflows, ...).
This is something a "scientifical assistant" (wissenschaftliche
Hilskraft) can do, but this guy needs to be paid with around
400-600€/month, at least here in Germany.

In case there is money which can be spent, I have one or two candidates
for the middle-term administration of the web-frontend (excluding demo
system and system administration, etc. for about two years). This person
would most likely use something like Django or Rails.
An open problem would then be to make sure the system is available
long-term and new developers/administrators can be found timely once the
assistant graduates.

Best,
Daniel