[IPOL discuss] Demo tutorial out of date

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Thu Mar 10 04:52:55 CET 2011

Hi,

> I've noticed that the demo tutorial at
> http://tools.ipol.im/wiki/admin/service/demo/tutorial/

Whaow, you found it quickly! I just created this wiki and imported the
documentation from the main ipol website a few days ago, in an effort
to specialize the IPOL www on the IPOL content. I intended to cleanup
these pages before anouncing it. Obviously, the content should be
somehow reorganised.

> is out of date and the explanations are not applicable to the
> downloadable Python code.

Yes. I find it hard to be reactive when some improvements are needed
on the demo code and maintain the tutorial in sync.

> Some of the mistakes I've found are:
> - It must be imported base_app and not base_demo, like the tutorial
> says.
old names, corrected
> - In the tutorial you can read "make test" in italic, but this is
> confusing because it seems that the user must execute the "make test"
> command or something similar.
old make system, removed
> - The tutorial says that "input.html" must be stored in the "input"
> folder, but the right location is the "template" folder.
error, corrected
> - The tutorial contains this line of code: "% for input_url input:". It's
> missing an "in": "% for input_url in input:".
typo, corrected
> - In the validation section, there's the following line of code: "urld =
> {". It makes no sense.
copy-paste error, corrected
> In other places of the code some "]" characters
> appear (they shouldn't) and a "\" to split lines is missing too.
can't correct without locaton info
> - The get_check_key method and the corresponding decorator that the
> tutorial refers to don't exist. It has to be changed to the @init_app
> decorator.
old nmames, corrected
> The way the parameters are passed seems to have changed.
which parameters?

Thanks for all these remarks, I corrected the errors. And now this
wiki (http://tools.ipol.im/wiki/) is open and can be edited by anyone,
so any of you can improve the documentation when something is wrong or
missing. And feel free to write some other documentation pages about
anything you want.

> Perhaps it'd be a good idea to maintain a minimal demo application that
> evolves with the stable DL versions.

That's what `app/xxx_axpb` is for.

Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan    http://www.cmla.ens-cachan.fr/~limare/