[IPOL discuss] Google Summer of Code

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Thu Mar 10 05:28:05 CET 2011

Hi,

Google "Summer of Code" (GSoC) program that offers student developers
stipends to write code for various open source software
projects. Every year, hundreds of students and mentors anre involved
in this program.

1. open source organizations propose summer projects and mentors
2. google selects teh organizations
3. students discuss the projects, apply, and get selected (or refused)
5. students work in july and august, and receive 5000$ from Google

IPOL is not the typical mentoring organization, but various university
groups were involved in GTSoC last year (Université de Washington,
Oregon State, Portland State, Amsterdam, ...). Typical IPOL projects
could be "implement, document and test well-known algorithm
<something>".

I wanted to apply for IPOL in GSoC this year, but I think we don't
have enough publicly available information about what we do and how we
work for Google standards (public development list, IRC channel,
public source code repositories, ...).

I think it can still be a good idea for next year, if our "openness"
improves. If any of you think it's worth trying this year, feel free
do apply for IPOL on http://www.google-melange.com/. The deadline is
March 11 23:00 UTC.

--
Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan    http://www.cmla.ens-cachan.fr/~limare/