[IPOL discuss] [IPOL] new version demo NLmeans

Jean-Michel Morel morel at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Thu Mar 10 07:59:00 CET 2011

Dear all,

For the denoising benchmark, I forgot  to  write three crucial points
that are missing.

1) Noiseless images:
First of all, the benchmark will not be "real" in the sense that (white)
noise will be added to noiseless images. Thus  a series of noiseless
images must be proposed to the users. Noiseless images are simply best
quality  photographs with many  photons (typically outdoor scenes), that
have  been zoomed in by an 8 factor.

2) RMSE!
Since  in the benchmark we have the "ground truth" (the noiseless
image), the demo must sytematically give the pair (original \sigma, RMSE
(original,  denoised).

3) In fact contrarily to intuition denoising in presence of low SNR
is useful because in dark  parts of raw images this is what really happens.
  Thus to go up to $\sigma = 40, 60, 80, 100$  is not absurd.
I am aware that the algorithms may  have to undergo some serious changes
to cope with such low SNR's. Nevertheless, I invite the denoising algo
designers to think it over, because this is the real thing.
At the  very least we should go up to \sigma= 40. (SNR simeq 3). It
might be that the hierarchy of algorithms is changed by low SNR's.

On the other side, we all see that with low SNR's  (\sigma = 2 to  5)
the gains in RMSE are inexsitent to modest, and this is another point
that will probably come out as a major challenge (or may be an impossible).

All the best,
Jean-Michel