[IPOL discuss] computing and displaying contours

Juan Cardelino juanc at fing.edu.uy
Wed Mar 16 00:52:04 CET 2011

> I agree with you that visualizing the contour map on the web is a
> problem, since SVG would be the right format if browser support were
> better established.  I suggest following what was done in the Line
> Segment Detector demo.  Create the contour map as an EPS file, then
> call Ghostscript to convert the EPS to a raster PNG image for display
> on the webpage.  Additionally, the demo can provide a link to allow
> users to download the EPS.

I have two doubts about this.

In the first place, I would rather use svg as intermediate format, I'm
not sure if I'm being a fashion victim here, but SVG seems the way to
go. When SVG browser support is still here, we could easily display
that SVG. I could provide code to draw basic primitives on svg,
altough is really straightforward to do it just with printf.

The second doubt is a particular problem of this case. The 2d kernel
to display is sampled on a very coarse grid, which could be around
17x17. this mean that displaying the raster PNG would be rather ugly,
however it think we could upsample with interpolation and show a
bigger image (like 170x170) image which hopefully will be smooth
enough.

Best regards,
                    Juan