[IPOL discuss] computing and displaying contours

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Wed Mar 16 08:30:58 CET 2011

> In the first place, I would rather use svg as intermediate format, I'm
> not sure if I'm being a fashion victim here, but SVG seems the way to
> go.

Then we would be two fashion victims!
Seriously, SVG has real advantages over EPS: more drawing primitives,
the support of "filters" (blurring, convolutions, ...) and direct
inclusion in (X)HTML documents. Maybe PostScipt is more exciting for
programmers because it's a stack-oriented programming language... but
these considerations are not relevant for IPOL :)

Rafael chose eps because of the bad visual quality of svg-png
conversion. I think it's worth a benchmark, vith visual comparisons.

> The second doubt is a particular problem of this case. The 2d kernel
> to display is sampled on a very coarse grid, which could be around
> 17x17. this mean that displaying the raster PNG would be rather ugly,
> however it think we could upsample with interpolation and show a
> bigger image (like 170x170) image which hopefully will be smooth
> enough.

I don't understand. If you want to display a vector kernel as a raster
image, can't you set the rasterization resolution large enough to see
all the details? How is this 17x17 svg->png conversion different from
directly including the SVG in the page?

Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan    http://www.cmla.ens-cachan.fr/~limare/