[IPOL discuss] use of Eigen for PCA/SVD computation in demo blm_color_dimensional_filtering

Pascal Monasse monasse at imagine.enpc.fr
Tue May 24 09:20:13 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I agree with Nicolas. We are all for simple, readable algorithms, but when it
comes to an SVD, we just want something that is simple to use, stable and fast
(our own algorithms have plenty CPU cycles to waste for other things). If it
uses BLAS, this is fine, it is a standard for matrix-vector operations. Such
operations could of course be trivially rewritten but would be slower.

If our algorithm has numerous dot products to compute and it is critical for
efficiency, I am all for using an optimized library, as long as it remains clear
in our code that we are simply computing a dot product.

Best,
Pascal