[IPOL discuss] meeting notes

Miguel Colom Miguel.Colom at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Wed May 25 11:16:34 CEST 2011

>> to transform these data files into a graph image. Miguel will propose
>> the data file format and the graphing functions to be added to the
>> demo library.
>
> Rather than rolling our own, what about Gnuplot?
>
>    http://www.gnuplot.info/
>
> Gnuplot has a well-documented language for specifying data and
> commands to create and customize many kinds of 2D and 3D plots.
> Gnuplot can then save these plots to PNG, SVG, PDF, etc.

The idea is that we should avoid using an specific program or library to
draw the graphics, because if it breaks down, then all the demos will do
too.

So, we fix a data format and create a set of small scripts that understand
that format and draw the figures. The tool they use to draw it is hidden
to the users. One day it can be matplotlib and the next day it can be
GNUPlot or anything else.

This way, if we need to change the tool that draws the figures, all we
should do is to rewrite the small set of scripts instead of changing all
the demos.

Best,
Miguel