[IPOL discuss] [YAIPL] "population" image processing library

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Mon Nov 7 04:02:32 CET 2011

Hi,

YAIPL = Yet Another Image Processing Library...
I feel like every week I see a new place where someone was not
satisfied by existing image processing libraries and decide to write
their own. And this doesn't even ensure that we will eventually get a
good one, because they always try to solve a different set of problems.

Today, I found "population", which defines itself as "[...] an
open-source imaging library in C++ for processing, analysing,
modelling and visualising including more than 200 algorithms designed
by V. Tariel under the CeCill licence.

-> http://population.shinoe.org/

«Why a new library

Since the emergence of applications of the image data-structure, many
libraries dedicated to image processing/analysis have be distributed
freely ImageJ, OpenCV, Olena, VTK or commercially,  ADCIS, Matlab
[3]. In my knowledge, no one respects all these criteria :

* ad vitam æternam : now and in the future, it is and it will be easy
  to install the software in any platforms. Therefore, the code source
  should be written in a standard language and should restrict the
  utilization of external libraries,
* user-friendly : it is easy to design your own algorithm. Therefore,
  the library should have a good technical documentation, as nice
  example [4] and the data-structures should be mapped into classes,
* optimized : the algorithms can be applied on large data set as 3d
  image. Therefore, following generic programming paradigm, the
  procedures should beparametrized to do most of the work at compile
  time and, therefore, to save time at execution time,
* modularity : an algorithm is built on elementary bricks. Therefore, a
  algorithm taxonomy should be done for the definition of the elementary
  bricks,
* mathematical equivalence : we have a mathematical equivalence between
  the algorithm definition and the algorithm implementation. In other
  words,  an algorithm can be applied on a class of data-structure
  having some fundamental properties allowing the process of versatile
  data-structures with a single procedure (whatever the data-structures
  with some properties, I can operate that.

To fulfil all criteria, I design my home-made library on C++ language,
called Population.»

The author, Vincent Tariel, is PhD student at Polytechnique. So close
to Cachan, it could be good to meet him to know more.

--
Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan    http://www.cmla.ens-cachan.fr/~limare/