[IPOL discuss] GSL multiplatform tests

Juan Cardelino juan.cardelino at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 04:28:56 CET 2011

I'm starting a new thread to answer to Nicolas

> The only remaining question is the portability. Can Mac users check if
> a recent GSL version is available from package managers? Can Windows
> users see how good is the gnuwin32 package[1], or if another simple
> solution is available for Windows? If we has such a solution, it would
> be similar to the current libpng or fftw situation, so I would see no
> reason to refuse the use of GSL in IPOL software.

I'm mostly a linux GSL user, but lately I've been using mac a lot. I
think I could be a good reference, because I'm a complete beginner
when it comes to OSX. I ported my code form linux to mac without major
problems, including the GSL dependent parts. It worked neatly. GSL
version in ubuntu 11.10 is 1.5, which is the same as in mac osx lion
using homebrew package manager. In the past I've also used gsl from
macports without any problems nor changes to the code (from linux to
mac), but I can't recall the version number available there.
I personally like the idea of accepting GSL, what do the rest think?
At this point, it would be nice to have a capable windows user to
share his experiences. Because most of us still live in the *nix
world.