[IPOL discuss] small compilation error in LSD code (ubuntu 11.10)

Pascal Getreuer getreuer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 14:27:25 CET 2011

> By the way, is it difficult to install different compilers on the same machine ?> Are they all binary compatible ? That is, if I build a library with one> compiler, can I link it to my object file compiled with a different compiler ?

It is not difficult to install different compilers on the same
machine.  There might be conflicts to have multiple versions of the
same compiler though.

In my experience, C++ libraries do have to be recompiled separately
for MSVC vs. ICC.  I hear that this is because the C++ ABI
(application binary interface) not yet entirely stable between
compilers.  On Windows, compatibility may also require linking with
the same C library (msvcrt.dll, crtdll.dll, static libraries ...), see
e.g.

   http://osdir.com/ml/windows.gnu.user/2006-12/msg00008.html

Pascal