[IPOL discuss] IPOL Software Guidelines, 2nd draft (and last one?)

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Mon Nov 21 14:40:22 CET 2011

Dear all,

The second draft of the IPOL Software Guidelines is available online:
  http://tools.ipol.im/wiki/author/code/software_guidelines/

I tried to integrate all the remarks received about the first
draft. A summary of the changes is included after in this message.

Please read it, and let me know if something needs to be explained or
changed, or if I forgot your previous remarks. If everything looks
fine, please also send me a short mail just to say it's OK (no need to
use the list for that); this way I'll know some people read it. If no
substantial modifications is needed, I will propose a first official
version next week. If some changes are needed, it will be a 3rd draft.

8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------

So, what's new in the 2nd draft? Remember: MUST is a hard condition,
non-negotiable; SHOULD is a soft recommendation, negotiable if the
authors, reviewers and editors agree.

* no mention of automated processing in the preamble, this will be for
  a further extention, later
* the checklist is at the beginning of the document
* links to an example program (axpb) and a check tool are provided; for
  the final version of the guidelines, this will be installed on
  tools.ipol.im and a web interface will be proposed to check a code;
  the check tool is minimal now, will be explanded later
* using multiple programs in an article or a demo is explicitely
  allowed
* the guidelines are numbered for easy references
* no mention of lowercase/uppercase for file names
* hidden files and files not used to build, use or study the
  algorithm SHOULD NOT be included
* other languages (Fortran90) are mentioned
* libjpeg and zlib allowed, mention of the float and double variants
  of fftw
* possibility to provide compilation options specific to a compiler
  but not in the default build procedure
* clarification of the file formats (at least one standard format)
* added stack info
* "source code quality" replaced by "readability"
* added a list of tools for code cleanup
* the code MUST be consistently spaced and indented, SHOULD be less
  than 80 chars, SHOULD have no white spaces at the end, SHOULD be
  less than 1000 lines and all use the same line terminations
* no mention of future "coding guidelines", they will be announced
  when (if?) released
* added LGPL/AGPL licenses
* clarified the 3 license cases: no patent, external patent and patent
  by the code authors
* authors SHOULD provide an example of input file to test the IPOL
  program, and the result to expect when this input file is processed
  by the program

And I fixed various typos, and tried to make some sentences more clear.

--
Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan    http://www.cmla.ens-cachan.fr/~limare/