[IPOL discuss] IPOL Software Guidelines, 2nd draft (and last one?)

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Wed Nov 23 15:42:48 CET 2011

Hi,

Like with the previous draft, I keep writing "partial updates" with
the remarks I receive; these updates are listed at the end of the
guidelines web page. I already followed the remarks of Pascal, Rafael
and Enric and used the text they suggested, or something similar.

I also reorganized some sections for a beter balance, and I tried to
imprive the distinction between the readability and documentation
sections.

Answers to Jose-Luis remarks:

> - notations "MiB" and "GiB".

OK, replaced by MB and GB. I think that MiB and GiB are the correct
units to use in this context, but everyone understand MB and GB, and
being understood is more important than being (pedantic and) correct

> - we SHOULD recommend, in the source code, the separation (different files)
> between "algorithm core" and the rest

Right, I added this distincton to the separation already recommended
between main() and the algo.

> The authors MUST clearly state which files are submitted for
> publication and this information
> should be included in the README.txt file.
> (This is related with another topic in the discuss forum:
> "Corrections of erratas in IPOL articles").

I agree with this idea but I think this is not a "software guideline"
issue. Once the software guidelines are fixed, two other reference
documents should probably be written:
- article guidelines (content and form of the IPOL article)
- publication process

The information you mention ("what is submitted") is essentially
directed to the editors and reviewers. I think it will have to be
specified in the "publication process" reference document.

> "Of course, in case of a file based on a previous work, the
> copyright attribution to the previous authors MUST NOT be removed. "

Yes, it is "if you modify a source code, don't remove its
copyright/license". If you reuse the ideas, algorithms and concepts of
someone else in you code, you can keep your own copyright and
license. Ideas are not copyrightable.

I will clarify the text.

--
Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan    http://www.cmla.ens-cachan.fr/~limare/