[IPOL discuss] IPOL Software : online check tool is available

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Thu Nov 24 19:11:11 CET 2011

Hi,

> * links to an example program (axpb) and a check tool are provided; for
>   the final version of the guidelines, this will be installed on
>   tools.ipol.im and a web interface will be proposed to check a code;
>   the check tool is minimal now, will be explanded later

An early version of the web check tool is available:
-> http://dev.ipol.im/~nil/ipol_pkg/

You can use it to upload and check a file, or give an URL and the file
will be downloaded from another web site and checked. Some tests
probably don't work. It will tell you if your software PASSED or FAILED
the tests, with or withour warnings.

I think the final version of this tool can be used by authors, before
their submission, and by the reviewers, for a preliminary check. It
doesn't replace a human review powered by neurones. It is a filter.
Feedback is welcome.

@enric,gabriele: I think I found a solution for the security
restrictions on download we talked a few months ago; it is still not
perfect, and has to be improved, but you can look at the source code
for details; basically, it is:
* sanitize the URL
* connect to the server without downloading
* check the file type, check the size
* then download
The default simple python download tool immediately downloads, without
preliminary checks. With some work, I think this system can be adaped
for the demos.

--
Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan    http://www.cmla.ens-cachan.fr/~limare/