[IPOL discuss] Swap memory

Miguel Colom Miguel.Colom at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Sun Oct 23 19:44:53 CEST 2011

> Hi Miguel,
> According to [1], some memory managers use "optimistic memory allocation"
> So with out-of-memory problems, it matters when the memory blocks are
> being written.  Here is a modification of your snippet  that would be
> interesting to compare with.
> [...]

Thank you so much for your answer, Pascal.
I've tried to access the block instead of asking for another one each
time, but the effect is just the same.

> My other comment is (if you haven't already) I recommend testing the
> program with Valgrind [2].  The command line syntax is
>
>    valgrind [valgrind options] myprogram [arguments for myprogram]

We haven't tried to used Valdrind yet, but we'll do.
Anyway, we're sure the problem is that the system refuses to allocate swap
memory for the process.

Thanks again,
Miguel