[IPOL discuss] matplotlib? [Re: courve 1D ...]

Jean-Michel Morel morel at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Sat Oct 29 13:05:27 CEST 2011

Dear all,

In answer to this proposition by Miguel:

"A sensible policy would be that when someone creates a new tools or
feature, he/she becomes the responsible for it."

This is not a viable policy:  we need a consensus on any new tool used
in the code operating the demos. The consensus implying that not just
one redactor, but most agree that maintenance is feasible, and are
committed to it.

The reason why I'd require some sort of consensus, is that creating or
using special visualization tools in the demo code contradicts our
publication policy.

In principle every user should be able to download the C code of each
article, to operate it, and see the results. Thus, the visualization
tools must be part of the C code.  Nothing opposes instead our placing C
visualization tools to the disposal of authors.  But visualization is
part of the scientific activity and should remain under the
responsibility authors.

See for instance Line Segment Detector, where the visualization of the
segments  is generated by the C code itself.

Best,
Jean-Michel