[IPOL discuss] Vector graphics on IPOL: which format to use?

Juan Cardelino juan.cardelino at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 17:04:32 CEST 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Miguel Colom
<Miguel.Colom at cmla.ens-cachan.fr> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> the SVG test page [1] has been updated to show the SVG --> PNG fallback.
> That is, rendering an alternate PNG (or any other valid format) image when
> the browser is unable to render a SVG file.
>
> In my opinion, the web server should detect when it's been asked for a
> fallback image and should generate the PNG version of the SVG on the fly.
>
> Best,
> Miguel
>
> [1] http://dev.ipol.im/~colom/svg/test.html

I like this idea, however I don't  know how the server could be asked
for a fallback image, I mean, if the browser is not capable of
rendering it, or it renders it incorrectly, how will the server know?
Maybe I'm missing something, but I only see this possible detecting
the browser type and generating the content accordingly.
Is it already working like this in your test page? Sorry about the ignorance.