[IPOL discuss] IPOL demo generator ready ...

Agust'in Salgado asalgadonuez at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 20:50:28 CEST 2011

Dear all,

  the generator demo is ready (
http://dev.ipol.im/~asalgado/ipol/demo_generator/). It creates a folder with
the html pages (input, params, wait, result), the "app.py" and "local.py"
files from the information specified in the interface. The SAVE and LOAD
features (buttons) work as well.

  In the folder created by the "demo generator" you can find the following
files:
   |- "app.py".     This file is created automatically. It does not need to
be modified. This file obtains a score of 8.50 with pylint.
   |- "__init__.py". This file is created automatically. It does not need to
be modified.
   |- "template" folder. This folder is created automatically. It does not
need to be modified.
   |- "local.py".   This file is created automatically. It must be changed
(or replaced) adding the python commands necessary  to call the demo
binaries. This file will be different in each demo.
   |- "input" folder. The contents of this folder must be modified by hand
(adding the input images files and modifying the index.cfg). In the future
this folder will be created automatically.

  When the demo is built, two files can be downloaded.

   *) "Demo server file". It stores a folder with the demo server (app/,
lib/, demo.py, ...).
   *) "Demo file generated". It stores a folder with the demo  (input/,
template/, app.py, local.py, ...). This folder must be copied in the "app/"
folder (Demo server).

  In the first page (http://dev.ipol.im/~asalgado/ipol/demo_generator/) you
can find three demo samples (the files required to build easily the demo).
The three files are:
    1) "config file". This file contains the data (interface data,
parameters, build info, ...) needed to build the demo.  You download this
file and "load" from your local disk.
    2) "local.py". This file contains the "run_algo" function that calls the
demo binaries. This file must be copied to the demo folder.
    3) "input folder". This file contains the "input" folder. This folder
must be copied to the demo folder.

  Two different types demos are available:
  *) DEMO: 0 params, image 2D (LSD: a Line Segment Detector)
  *) DEMO: 1 params + 1 subimage, image 2D (Non-Local Means Denoising)

  I wanted to include more samples but the source files are not easily to
compile. This "demo generator" assumes that the binaries files will be
created in the same folder where the source files are. However, I found
different sources files configurations:

     a) The source files are placed in a folder and when you compile the
binaries are created in the same folder.
     b) The source files are placed in a folder and when you compile the
binaries are created in other folder.
     c) The source files are placed in different folders and when you
compile the binaries are created in different folders.
     d) Similar that the case (b) but the source file also contains script
files (usually in another folder) that must be copied to our bin demo
folder.

  In order to simplify the generator I only took into account the first
case, (a). The cases (b) and (d) are easily to include in the generator but
more information must be specified (it complicates the interface). However,
the case (c) is difficult to deal with.

  I tried to build the following demos but I found some difficulties in the
some files:

     *) admm_non_blind_psf_estimation. Case (a) but a "pattern_noise.pgm"
file must be copied. The generator assumes that only the binaries will be
copied to the "bin folder".
     *) xxx_axpb. Case (b)
     *) m_quasi_euclidean_epipolar_rectification. Case (d)
     *) lmps_simplest_color_balance. The source file must be download from a
SECURE server (https). An autorization is needed.
     *) lmps_retinex_poisson_equation. The source file must be download from
a SECURE server (https). An autorization is needed.
     *) bms_binocular_stereo_pipeline. Case (d)

   Any comment and/or suggestion are welcome.

Best regards,

  Agustin

  TODO:
  *) Add the demo generator code in GIT.
  *) Add more demo config files (SAMPLES).
  *) Fix some bugs in the interface.
  *) Improve the help information.
  *) Create an user guide.
  *) In the input page: Create an image gallery where the user can be
selected the input images just with a click.