[IPOL discuss] IPOL usage statistics 2010/09 - 2011/08

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Fri Sep 23 12:22:56 CEST 2011

> This is an both an amazing study and great news! Which software did you
> use? Perhaps I can try to do something similar with our webpage to
> satisfy our industry partners ;)

Piwik (http://piwik.org/) is the web statistics tool. A tracker code
is inserted in every IPOL web page (and in the demos since yesterday),
and the logs are collected, month after month. Some goals can be
defined in piwik to track downloads or a set of pages.

Statistics about the archive are collected from the demo server with
Munin (http://munin-monitoring.org/) and a custom script to query the
archive database, and the real-time graphs are available online.
-> http://tools.ipol.im/munin/ipol/green/index.html#other

For the org names, I collected all the IP addresses from the raw web
server logs, removed the last byte[1], then for each address queried
the network registry with the gwhois software and filtered the answer
to only keep interesting lines.

An edited version of the usage report, with links and graphics, is now
online: http://www.ipol.im/news/20110923_stats/

[1] for user privacy and to aggregate small networks

--
Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan    http://www.cmla.ens-cachan.fr/~limare/