[IPOL discuss] The Hatchery: an informal index of available code within our community.

Miguel Colom Miguel.Colom at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Sat Sep 24 20:34:32 CEST 2011

> Hi,
> Let us introduce this new collaboration/social coding effort: the
> Hatchery<http://tools.ipol.im/wiki/author/code/hatchery/>

In my opinion, this is a good inititive, because it allows to make easy to
start a new application (how to read a image, parameters, etc) and avoids
to look for well-known code (sorting arrays, making histograms, etc) again
and again.

Perhaps we could create a software framework our applications could be
developed inside and maintain it. Or a library of functions coded in C.

I'm not talking about anything that resembles Megawave, of course, but
just a framework including most common functionality:

- Opening/writing PNG and PPM files.
- Sorting arrays.
- FFT.
- Wavelets.
- Histogram manipulation.
- Etc.

Then, to create a new program, one only should have to add the proper
#include "ipol.h" and perhaps edit the Makefile properties to choose what
to include.

I think this would make easier to create applications for IPOL and users
would only have to spend their time to think about the algorithm
implementation, and not other technical details.

Best,
Miguel