[IPOL discuss] optic flow algorithms in ipol

Jean-Michel Morel morel at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Mon Sep 26 21:50:59 CEST 2011

Dear Juan and all,

It's fun that just in the same day we have three different persons
mentioning their intention to publish Horn & Schunck in IPOL (Enric,
Daniel, and this your colleague). This is precisely why I have proposed
to start a list of publication projects, to avoid duplication and foster
collaboration.  Nevertheless nothing opposes two different publications
of the same algorithm at IPOL, provided of course they are for some good
reason substantially different. Otherwise, the best thing is to make
joint papers.  Yes, definitely we should announce all (serious) projects
to avoid overlap.

Thus in answer to your  questions:

  So I will recommend him to publish the second option if
nobody has objections.

----->>>> O.K.

In addition, it could be useful to compare different implementations
of the same algorithm, but I don't how can be organize that.
Should we make one publication for the Horn & Schunck algorithm with
many sub-parts devoted to each implementation and links to many demos?
Should we compare the implementations internally and pick one (or
two)?
What do you think?

------>>>> Unless somebody takes up the coordination it will be the
first in first out rule: whoever submits first and is accepted publishes
the algorithm. The second submission will have to demonstrate that there
is something substantially new or different in the interpretation of the
algorithm, and so on. Of course if the submissions are simultaneous as
editors we will try to make authors interact.

In the near future we will be contributing with a few more algorithms,
should I announce them here to avoid overlap? Or we are going to
implement the idea of Prof. Morel of making a centralized list of
works in progress?

------->>>>  Yes, please, can someone implement this, which only means
some open list in which everyone can place a parcimonious description of
their current projects.

Jean-Michel