[IPOL discuss] public clone repositories of the IPOL codes?

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Wed Aug 22 18:47:20 CEST 2012

Hi all,

Switching to PDF was a way to inclease the visibility of the IPOL
articles. They are quickly indexed in Google Scholar for example, and
I will work on other things in the coming months (Scopus, Citeseer,
DBLP, HAL, ...).

But the PDF file is not everything, the software side of IPOL
articles should be promoted too. But software is not indexed and
searched like research papers, so we need other solutions.

My idea is to store every code associated to a published IPOL article
in a public source code hosting service. The first two candidates
would be

* github -> https://github.com/ipol-im/ipol
  because it is very active and dynamic
* coogle code -> http://code.google.com/p/ipol/
  because this may help appearing in google search results
  because of their great codesearch tool http://code.google.com/searchframe

To be clear, this would not be a service for IPOL authors, not a
service for software development. It would only be two clones of a
single repository with all the code published in IPOL[1], only updated
to add new code. And all that is experimental, and could be changed or
disappear at any time.

Legally, there is no problem. Every IPOL code is under a free software
license, so anyone is already allowed to gather all the code and
publish it on github or anywhere else.

Will it be good for the articles? Maybe, maybe not, so let's try and
see. By the way, this shows why a proper README.txt file with a
reference to the article is important in your IPOL code. without this
reference, people getting the code won't access the article, they
won't even know the article exists.

I'd like to know if I missed something and if you see an problem with
this experiement.

Best,

[1] both services offer the possibility to download only a subfolder
of the repository

--
Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan         http://limare.perso.math.cnrs.fr/