[IPOL discuss] update of www.ipol.im coming

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Tue Aug 28 16:50:55 CEST 2012

Dear all,

This mail is sent to the discuss mailing list[1] and to everyone with an
account on the https://edit.ipol.im/ system. Sorry for the possible
duplicate messages.

I prepared the next version of http://www.ipol.im. You can look at a
temporary copy here: http://dev.ipol.im/~nil/tmp/ipol/with-topics/.

Apart from a few design details, there a four changes with this new
version.

1. Now the articles are organized by "topics". We hope this will help
   readers visit more articles related to their research
   interests. Every article will connected to one (and only one)
   topic, chosen by the editor at the time of publishing. So far these
   topics are only accessed from the front page, but we can add other
   features later: for example, a special index page per topic, and a
   link to this page from every article of this topic.

2. All the article pages are now based on the same template; adding
   new features or modifying the global presentation will be
   easier. I'm open to any proposition.

Now two other changes which may impact your work as an IPOL author:

3. The URLs of the preprints and articles will change:
   - articles  at http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/YYYY/XXXX
   - preprints at http://www.ipol.im/pub/pre/XXXX
   where YYYY is the publication year and XXXX an unique
   identifier. This will be better suited to the management of the
   article pages than storing everything together in a single flat and
   growing space. This implies that:
   * The DOIs will be updated, to maintain the access to the article
     pages from http://dx.doi.org/10.5201/abcdef. The current
     addresses of the articles will be redirected to the new ones,
     but you should not rely on it: the DOI URL is the good, long
     term, reliable address.
   * The demos will need this information, we won't maintain the
     current (weak) assumption that the article page URL can be
     rebuilt from the demo folder name. I'll update the demos and tell
     you more later about how the article URL should be specified in
     app.py.
   * The address of a published work won't be the same as its
     preprint. A redirection will be managed in ipol.im. However, I
     think people don't expect preprint versions to be available
     online forever at the same place, and finding the published
     version will be easy.

4. We will close the "wiki" system. This makes sense since IPOL only
   publishes LaTeX/PDF documents now, so the wiki versions would not
   be kept for publication anyway. Moreover, closing this feature will
   simplify the administration of the www.ipol.im website[2].
   The current drafts available on https://edit.ipol.im/edit/algo will
   still be available, but not editable any more. But we won't let you
   alone with a freezed wiki/HTML draft. I am preparing some
   semi-automatic conversions, and a full archive of your article
   drafts with all the image files and a LaTeX version will be
   available. Of course, this automatic LaTeX conversion will not look
   very good, but all the content of your wiki/HTML vesion should be
   maintained and only some LaTeX tuning (graphics size, etc...) will
   be needed.

[2] Using a wiki to edit and publish the journal was a quick hack
    since the beginning of IPOL, and it is very slow now with all the
    articles using the [[!teximg]] and [[!img]] functions.

I intend to do the transition at the end of the week. I think all the
content of the "edit" drafts will be kept intact, but if you notice
something wrong, please tell me, everything is always bekt in backup
and can be retrieved. If you refrain from editing these drafts this
week, it will help me keep the LaTeX versions up to date.

And as usual, remarks and questions are welcome, either to me or via
the mailing-list if a discussion is expected.

Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan         http://limare.perso.math.cnrs.fr/