[IPOL discuss] deadlines and average review times

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Thu Aug 30 13:06:47 CEST 2012

Juan,

> I would like to know if there is any maximum time suggested for the
> reviews of the articles.

Reviewers are asked to reply within 6 weeks. But the full process can
take more time:

* <=6 weeks for the "pre-review" (is this submission relevant for IPOL?)
* ? weeks to complete the submission with code and demo
* -> preprint goes online
* <=6 weeks for the review (is the description complete? do the code
  and description match?)
* optional review loop for major corrections, + <= 6 weeks per
  iteration, usually less, until the reviewers are pleased
-> updated preprint goes online (if there was any correction)
* ? weeks for copyediting, layout, publishing
* -> final version goes online

Completing the submission can be instantaneous if the submission
started with everything ready, as this often happens. In that case,
the "pre-review" will probably be quick too.

For the moment, I do the copyediting etc. It takes me about one day of
work per article, spread over at least three days because of the
interaction needed between me and the authors. It can take longer if I
have something else at the top of my priority list, or if the authors
are busy. It can also be longer when we have some special problems
(need to create new vector figures, for example).

> In addition, do we have some measurements of the time invested in
> the last N reviews made?

I don't have this information, because until now everything was
handled by mail. You can ask edit at ipol.im, Jean-Michel or Eva may be
able to find some numbers by exploring their mailboxes. So far no
submission has been completely processed in OJS. When the new articles
submitted in OJS and currently in review are published, I can give you
these measurements.

--
Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan         http://limare.perso.math.cnrs.fr/