[IPOL discuss] Best Practices for Scientific Computing

Miguel Colom colom at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Fri Oct 5 14:56:14 CEST 2012

Quoting Morel Jean-Michel <moreljeanmichel at gmail.com>:
>   - Write code in the highest-level language possible.:
> Are we doing that?

No, actually we're using C/C++, quite low-level languages.
The advantage is clear: since these languages are compiled and so
close to the CPU (without any interpretation steps or virtual machine
layers), their execution is absolutely fast.

However, in my opinion, writing a prototype in some high-level
language (Python+numpy or scipy, Matlab, Scilab, etc.) and then
re-write it in C/C++ is in general recommendable.