[IPOL discuss] Best Practices for Scientific Computing

Pierre Moulon pmoulon at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 16:30:08 CEST 2012

High Level language help to make a code that look similar to the basis
algorithm.
Less instruction make the code clear and readable and so easier to modify
by an external user.

But using some libraries in C++ help to make code more 'high-level'.
Using libs like Eigen for math do not make using pointer for matrices
manipulation... Encapsulation, objects, and concepts are keys to realize a
cool looking clean. But hard to design sometimes...

Interesting to read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-level_programming_language

And for me C++ is already a High-Level language.
It offer high level programming option (concepts, traits, C++11: functors,
lambda), but if you want you can go to the deep/dark side (intrinsic,
pointer arithmetic...).

2012/10/5 Miguel Colom <colom at cmla.ens-cachan.fr>

> Quoting Morel Jean-Michel <moreljeanmichel at gmail.com>:
>
>>   - Write code in the highest-level language possible.:
>> Are we doing that?
>>

> No, actually we're using C/C++, quite low-level languages.
> The advantage is clear: since these languages are compiled and so close to
> the CPU (without any interpretation steps or virtual machine layers), their
> execution is absolutely fast.
>
> However, in my opinion, writing a prototype in some high-level language
> (Python+numpy or scipy, Matlab, Scilab, etc.) and then re-write it in C/C++
> is in general recommendable.

Regards/Cordialement,
Pierre M