[IPOL discuss] revision of the Software Guidelines - third draft 1.01c

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Wed Sep 26 16:53:36 CEST 2012

Hi,

>> I would like to suggest a few updates to the current IPOL software
>> guidelines. My first draft is available online:
>> -> https://tools.ipol.im/wiki/ref/software_guidelines/drafts/
>>
>> I will collect all these remarks and propose a second draft after
>> two weeks.
>
> I'm a little late, but the second draft (1.01b) is online:
> -> https://tools.ipol.im/wiki/ref/software_guidelines/drafts/
>
> As usual, send your comments, and I will use them for the next draft
> version, expected Sept. 23.

I received no comment about these guidelines, so the third and
probably final draft version (1.01c) is online:
https://tools.ipol.im/wiki/ref/software_guidelines/drafts/

The only changes from the previous drafts are minor changes in a few
sentences. If I receive no comment about these guidelines before
Monday October 7th, I'll consider they are approved, and I'll ask the
feedback of the editorial board before the final adoption.

For info, a summary of the changes from the current version of the
guidelines (1.00) is copied hereafter.

All the best,

8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------

Changes from version 1.00:

* Add a license for this document.
* Remove some mentions of IPOL, for generic guidelines.
* Only mention the standard names for the C/C++ dialects; update the
  links.
* Recommend a compilation without warnings.
* Mention GPU-accelerated computing.
* Require ifdef macros for OpenMP.
* Clarify the use of external libraries packaged with the software
  (support code).
* Recommend additional compiler variables for make.
* Require correct exit codes and robust command-line processing.
* Add the CC0 dedication to the list of possible license terms.
* Require a list of the files and known defects in README.txt; allow the
  README.txt file to be split.
* Fix some typos, rephrase some sentences.

--
Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan         http://limare.perso.math.cnrs.fr/