[IPOL discuss] SoftwareCarpentry Bootcamp at Telecom ParisTech, Apr 20-21, 2013

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Sun Jan 20 16:28:05 CET 2013

[sorry for multiple messages, sent to the IPOL discussion and
CMLA lists]

Hi,

The SoftwareCarpentry organization is teaching scientists and future
scientists how to be more productive with computers. They are doing a
Bootcamp in Paris in April, in the form of two days about python, git
and software engineering.

-> http://software-carpentry.org/bootcamps/2013-04-paris.html
   (copied at the end of this message)

I learned Python from their online lessons 6 years ago, I made my
"INFO+" lessons in Cachan 2~3 years ago based on their example. I met
the group manager (Greg Wilson) in Providence last months, I know some
of the instructors (one of them was in my thesis committee), and I can
tell you that this is a very useful and valuable initiative by serious
people.

I think it could be good for any license, master and PhD students, and
postdoc as well. If you use computers for programming in your research
or future researcher career, you probably can benefit from the
bootcamp.

It's free, it's 2 days in a week-end, at Telecom ParisTech, and you
register online.
-> http://software-carpentry.org/bootcamps/2013-04-paris.html

Please forward to interested audiences.

8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------

Telecom ParisTech: Apr 20-21, 2013
Where: Télécom ParisTech, 46 Rue Barrault, 75013 Paris

When: April 20-21, 2013. We will start at 9:00 and end at 4:30 each
day.

What: Our goal is to help scientists and engineers become more
productive by teaching them basic computing skills like program
design, version control, testing, and task automation. In this two-day
boot camp, short tutorials will alternate with hands-on practical
exercises. Participants will be encouraged both to help one another,
and to apply what they have learned to their own research problems
during and between sessions. There will be online follow up sessions
for 6 to 8 weeks extending the material from the boot camp.

Who: The course is aimed at postgraduate students and other scientists
who are familiar with basic programming concepts (like loops,
conditionals, arrays, and functions) but need help to translate this
knowledge into practical tools to help them work more productively.

Requirements: Participants must bring a laptop with a few specific
software packages installed. (The list will be sent to participants a
week before the boot camp.)

Content: This boot camp will cover the following topics:

day 1    a.m. ...  Introduction to Python
         p.m. ...  NumPy for scientific computing
day 2    a.m. ...   Version control using Git
         p.m. ...  Testing scientific software
         .         Structuring, documenting, and packaging your project

Contact: Please mail info at software-carpentry.org for more information.

--
Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan         http://limare.perso.math.cnrs.fr/