[IPOL discuss] software license for IPOL code: GPL is good!

Dagobert tristan.dagobert at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Thu Jun 20 16:48:22 CEST 2013

Le 20/06/2013 16:31, Nicolas Limare a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> A few recent events suggest that using the GPL license for code
> published in IPOL is a good choice.
>
> * Two companies want to use include algorithms published in IPOL by
>    reusing the code published here too. This code is under the GPL
>    license and these companies do not want to be bound by the license
>    terms, so they proposed to buy the rights to reuse this code under
>    different conditions.

Does it mean that, once the company will buy the rights to reuse the
code, then
the still available code on the ipol site, will have its licence changed
and will not be
free anymore, or does it mean that the company will not be bound by the
actual licence by
buying the rights but the very code on ipol will continue to be free and
reusable ?