[IPOL discuss] publishing the LaTeX source of IPOL articles?

Daniel Kondermann daniel.kondermann at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Mar 28 11:53:21 CET 2013

Nicolas Limare wrote:
> Doesn't plagiarism already exist now, even with few LaTeX sources
> available? It seems that crook authors don't need our sources to steal
> papers and send them to obscure conferences and journals.
>
> For a better example, for years and decades, the arXiv (830000 papers)
> has asked (burt not required) authors to publish their LaTeX
> source. And their FAQ exactly answers the objections raised here:

I agree in that nothing can stop plagiarism, but sources definitely facilitate the process.

So my next question would be what is the actual damage done by plagiarism?
Perhaps we need digital rights management, stronger laws and severe punishments for anyone using a word which was originally appearing in my
article? We could also add a pay-wall: the latex sources cost 99,999€ each. No, per line.

To sum it up: you are right ;)

Cheers,
Daniel