[IPOL discuss] publishing the LaTeX source of IPOL articles?

Carlo De Franchis carlo.de-franchis at polytechnique.org
Fri Mar 29 12:12:19 CET 2013

> >> Moreover, some people in a conference recently attended by Carlo
> >> say they want to be able to regenerate article files in other
> >> formats than the PDF provided by the publisher.
> >
> > That would be really great, and for me a motivating reason to
> > publish LaTeX sources.  What formats do they have in mind?
>
> Carlo, can you tell us more about it? And also maybe about the
> comments made by the audience?

At the Beyond the PDF 2 [1] conference, there was a presentation
titled "Why publishers should publish an XML file and nothing else".
The presenter was Kaveh Bazargan, from River Valley [2], a typesetting
company. He told that if publishers produce a good XML file, which
would be the definitive version of record, then all other formats can
be created automatically, and on the fly, from the XML. He made a demo
showing a multitude of PDF layouts created from one XML file.

Personally, I don't see the point in converting a tex source into XML.
But the main message of this presentation was to publish source files
of articles in a standard format.

Carlo

[1] http://www.force11.org/beyondthepdf2
[2] http://river-valley.com/