[IPOL discuss] minor compilation issues in "Combined First and Second Order Total Variation Inpainting using Split Bregman"

Juan Cardelino juanc at fing.edu.uy
Thu Oct 10 12:24:29 CEST 2013

Dear all,
            I found some minor issues in the code of this publication.

As with many other publications, the code has compilation problems in new
versions of gcc, because of the ordering of the linker flags (see below).
In addition there are two minor mistakes in the README.txt. First it
mentions two example files that are not present and the example usage seems
wrong:

"The software comes with two test images and the inpainting can be done as
follows:
        fstv resting.png resting.png resting_inpainted.png"

I think the second resting.png is wrong, should be something like mask.png

With respect to the Makefile, these lines
$(FBIN): $(FSRC:.c=.o)
$(CC) $(FSRC:.c=.o) $(LDFLAGS) -o $(FBIN)

$(RBIN): $(RSRC:.c=.o)
$(CC) $(RSRC:.c=.o) $(LDFLAGS) -o $(RBIN)

Should be:

$(FBIN): $(FSRC:.c=.o)
$(CC) $(FSRC:.c=.o) $(LDFLAGS) -o $(FBIN)

$(RBIN): $(RSRC:.c=.o)
$(CC) $(RSRC:.c=.o) $(LDFLAGS) -o $(RBIN)

Finally, in newer ubuntu systems libpng is not located in /usr/lib so we
need to change the following
LDFLAGS= -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -lpng -lfftw3 -lgomp -lm

Best,
      Juan