[IPOL discuss] A comment on sliders on demos

rafael grompone von gioi grompone at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 19:39:12 CET 2014

Hi everyone,

I have a minor comment about the use of sliders on demos.
I made some experiments of Gaussian filtering with the
demo of following article:

"A Survey of Gaussian Convolution Algorithms"
Pascal Getreuer
http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2013/87/

It was very handy and worked very well. I wanted
to try different values of the standard deviation, up to
very large ones. But the slider was set for the range
from 0.5 to 15, which is reasonable. But when I tried
to set manually larger values on the text box at
its side, the value would be set again to the max
of the slider. I finally downloaded the code and
compiled and made the experiments. But I spent
more time than necessarily. In the same way I can
set a value on the text box like 0.56789 that cannot be
set with the slider (I could set 0.5 or 0.6), it would be
nice to be able also to set 20, even if it out the slider
range.

Of course, this is probably not a problem of this
particular demo but of the way these sliders and
their text boxes are set. Is there any simple solution?

Best regards,
rafael