[IPOL discuss] IPOL demos tips

Miguel Colom colom at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Thu Jul 6 21:10:04 CEST 2017

Dear all,

As you might have seen, we're updating the Software Guidelines and
some pages of the IPOL website which show misleading information.

Before this is done, I think it'd be useful to write here some tips on
the IPOL demos.

- We allow codes written in C/C++, Python, MATLAB, and Octave.

- If you use a library which is mature and widely used and it's not
listed in the allowed libraries in IPOL, please let us know. Normally
we'll accept it.

- If you're an author submitting an article you don't need to worry
about writing the online demo. We don't expect that the authors learn
how to use our systems, of course. An specialized editor will create
it for you. Nevertheless, you can write your own demo if you want.

- Before the editors had to build the demos by coding in Python and
designing the web pages. Now we have a way more advanced system where
the demos are rendered automatically from a simple textual description
and can be updated at any time by their editors. Thus, I remind the
editors that the old demo system is not admitting new demos and they
should be build in the new system.

- The new demo system will allow soon new data types: video, audio, 3D.

- It's possible to have at this moment video demos. They're run by a
system in the middle of the old and the new system.

- 3D mesh rendering is supported, but in the old system. We still can
publish 3D mesh demos even if the new system doesn't have this feature
yet (but in the short future).

Finally, note that the authors are not left on their own after they
submit a demo, and the editors will take care of the demo and help,
guide and advise them with their source code or other matters
throughout the publication process.

Best,
Miguel