[IPOL discuss] [IPOL announce] new article: Extraction of the Level Lines of a Bilinear Image

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Sat Aug 10 01:41:07 CEST 2019

A new article is available in IPOL: https://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2019/269/

Pascal Monasse,
Extraction of the Level Lines of a Bilinear Image,
Image Processing On Line, 9 (2019), pp. 205–219.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2019.269

Abstract
We detail precisely an algorithm for the extraction of the level lines
of a bilinear image, which is a continuous function interpolating
bilinearly a discrete image. If we discard the levels of the discrete
image, where topological difficulties arise, a level line is a
concatenation of branches of hyperbolas. The algorithm tracks these
branches and provides a sampling of the level lines in the form of
closed polygons. If the level line contains a saddle point, the
hyperbola degenerates to orthogonal segments, where an arbitrary but
consistent choice is adopted for the tracking at the bifurcation. In any
case, the extracted polygons are disjoint and enclose a bounded region.
This allows to order the level lines in an enclosure tree hierarchy,
which may be used for a variety of filters. Recovering this tree is a
simple post-processing of the extraction algorithm.

--
IPOL - Image Processing On Line   - http://ipol.im/

contact     edit at ipol.im          - http://www.ipol.im/meta/contact/
news+feeds  twitter @IPOL_journal - http://www.ipol.im/meta/feeds/