[IPOL discuss] [IPOL announce] new article: Finding the Skeleton of 2D Shape and Contours: Implementation of Hamilton-Jacobi Skeleton

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Fri Feb 12 22:11:18 CET 2021

A new article is available in IPOL: http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2021/296/

Yuchen He, Sung Ha Kang, and Luis Álvarez,
Finding the Skeleton of 2D Shape and Contours: Implementation of
Hamilton-Jacobi Skeleton,
Image Processing On Line, 11 (2021), pp. 18–36.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2021.296

Abstract
This paper presents the details of the flux-ordered thinning algorithm,
which we refer to as the Hamilton-Jacobi Skeleton (HJS). It computes the
skeleton of any binary 2D shape. It is based on the observation that the
skeleton points have low average outward flux of the gradient of the
distance transform. The algorithm starts by computing the distance
function and approximating the flux values for all pixels inside the
shape. Then a procedure called homotopy preserving thinning iteratively
removes points with high flux while preserving the homotopy of the
shape. In this paper, we implement the distance transform using a fast
sweeping algorithm. We present numerical experiments to show the
performance of HJS applied to various shapes. We point out that HJS
serves as a multi-scale shape representation, a homotopy classifier, and
a deficiency detector for binary 2D shapes. We also quantitatively
evaluate the shape reconstructed from the medial axis obtained by HJS.

--
IPOL - Image Processing On Line   - http://ipol.im/

contact     edit at ipol.im          - http://www.ipol.im/meta/contact/
news+feeds  twitter @IPOL_journal - http://www.ipol.im/meta/feeds/