[IPOL discuss] pages layout

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Thu Oct 28 10:08:20 CEST 2010

> By the way, the demo pages have left and right margins around the central
> frame with white background. When an image is larger (in width) than the
> central frame, it overlaps the right margin. When resizing the
> browser window, left and right margins share evenly the extra space,
> while there is nothing to see on the left and we want to see the rest
> of the image on the right.
>
> It would be best if the central frame would take a width adapted to its
> content or, second best, that the left margin does not take extra space when
> resizing.

Yes, I want to modify the IPOL page layout.

First, we currently have fixed width because this is better for the
text pages. A full-width algorithm description would be very
uncomfortable to read with very long text lines. For the same reason,
journals have a 2 columns layout: if the line is too long it's
difficult to get to the next line after a line break.

And I thought it was better to keep the same layout for demo
pages. But we face a problem with large images.

There is no good justification for the centered layout. I just thought
"balanced is better".

So, I intend to change the layout in the following way.
* a fixed, little (5 em) margin on the left, with a visual limit (the
  current vertical line and different background)
* the same fixed width for text content (60em)
* the remaining right space empty, but without visual limit (no
  vertical line, and a progressive soft shift in the background)

This way, large images will overflow the fixed width, but as
everything will be aligned to the left of the screen, large images
won't overflow the browser window. And without visual limits on the
right side, we won't feel that the image is breaking the layout.

Of course, your comments are welcome, and if someone wants to
implement it by modifying the current CSS style file, I will use it.

PS : "em" is the width of a capital letter

--
Nicolas LIMARE
http://nicolas.limare.net/                         pgp:0xFA423F4F