[IPOL discuss] Ipol articles

Simon Loic simon1lolo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 17:04:27 CET 2011

Dear all,

After a long period trying alternative solutions to embed Ipol articles
on-line,  we (Rafael and me) have finally decided that our work was ready
to be shared and submitted to your tests and feedback.

At the beginning, we were supposed to try to:
1) convert Latex files into html
2) define a tex class and a template of tex file to guide any future Ipol
author to start a new article and to ensure that the tex to html conversion
is handled correctly
3) embed pdf files in html

So far, we have rather explored the 2) and 3). And you can find the outcome:
here http://dev.ipol.im/~simonl/files/IpolTeX/IpolTeX.tar.gz

and there http://dev.ipol.im/~simonl/php/pdfInHtml/

In this last page, the idea is to upload your own pdf files, and try 3
different ways to view the pdf online: your own browser plugin, a
technology based on flash (FlexPaper), and another based on javascript
(pdf.js). You can try them by checking the associated radio button. You can
also click the "get link" button to get an url that you can then attach to
your feedback if you will. If you think that this kind of embedding is
stable and practical enough for Ipol then we can give the green light to
the authors currently in the process of writing/submitting. Otherwise we
should still remain open to alternatives...

Concerning the Ipol Latex class, following JM advice, we've kept it as
simple as possible. And there again your feedback is more than welcome.

cheers,
--
Loïc