[IPOL discuss] IEEE floating point images

Pascal Monasse monasse at imagine.enpc.fr
Fri Jun 3 09:14:10 CEST 2011

Hi Jerome,

As Nicolas said, read_tiff_f32() et write_tiff_f32() are for single channel float
data. They work perfectly in the sense that any image written with
write_tiff_f32() is correctly read by read_tiff_f32(). But it does not support
reading a TIFF file coded in tiles. Anyway, since you are very unlikely to meet
a float TIFF written by another application, there should be no surprise.

It would quite simple to extend it to double data, but I doubt anybody would
really need it. Multiple channels would also be easy to add.
If you have integer images, you'd better use PNG.

Best,
Pascal