[IPOL discuss] IPOL on windows

Juan Cardelino juan.cardelino at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 14:25:01 CEST 2011

Dear all,
              We have two members of our IPOL-LA (IPOL latin america)
project, which are working IPOL oriented. One is writing a
publication, while the other is just trying algorithms. The latter is
using windows, and he is facing some problems with the compilation of
certain algorithms.
As we have not decided anything, I guess our idea is still supporting
the three main platforms right. My guess is that problems with windows
are just a matter of insufficient testing rather that a decision.

If that is the case, we will put some work on testing some of the
algorithms and document the outcome in the wiki. At the moment, one of
the authors (Alvaro Pardo) has posted some information in his wiki:
http://die.ucu.edu.uy/users/apardo/wiki/doku.php?id=compiling_ipol_with_visual_studio_2010.
I've made a page in our wiki to migrate and expand this information:
http://tools.ipol.im/wiki/author/code/ipol_on_windows/

In addition, in order to provide a more universal access to the code,
I propose to add optional cmake projects to the code of the
algorithms, to aid the users in the compilation in different
platforms. Or at least provide accurate compilation information for
each platform.
At the moment of writing, I guess most of the source codes available
provide a makefile or just the plain C files. So we either provide
detailed instructions for each platform or we include a way to compile
it truly multiplatform.

What do you think? If we like the cmake idea, I can ask the members of
our project to start writing cmake files for the projects they try.
If not, what else can we do?

Best regards,
                 Juan