[IPOL discuss] IPOL on windows

Miguel Colom Miguel.Colom at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Sun Oct 2 15:10:38 CEST 2011

> Dear all,
>               We have two members of our IPOL-LA (IPOL latin america)
> project, which are working IPOL oriented. One is writing a
> publication, while the other is just trying algorithms. The latter is
> using windows, and he is facing some problems with the compilation of
> certain algorithms.
> As we have not decided anything, I guess our idea is still supporting
> the three main platforms right. My guess is that problems with windows
> are just a matter of insufficient testing rather that a decision.
>
> If that is the case, we will put some work on testing some of the
> algorithms and document the outcome in the wiki. At the moment, one of
> the authors (Alvaro Pardo) has posted some information in his wiki:
> http://die.ucu.edu.uy/users/apardo/wiki/doku.php?id=compiling_ipol_with_visual_studio_2010.
> I've made a page in our wiki to migrate and expand this information:
> http://tools.ipol.im/wiki/author/code/ipol_on_windows/
>
> In addition, in order to provide a more universal access to the code,
> I propose to add optional cmake projects to the code of the
> algorithms, to aid the users in the compilation in different
> platforms. Or at least provide accurate compilation information for
> each platform.
> At the moment of writing, I guess most of the source codes available
> provide a makefile or just the plain C files. So we either provide
> detailed instructions for each platform or we include a way to compile
> it truly multiplatform.
>
> What do you think? If we like the cmake idea, I can ask the members of
> our project to start writing cmake files for the projects they try.
> If not, what else can we do?
>
> Best regards,
>                  Juan

What I'd do to develop under Windows is to create a custom Makefile in
which you could specify (detect would be better) if you're under Windows
or Linux and then use make to compile the code.

There exist IDEs for Windows than can compile the code with GCC and make,
for example Dev-C++ http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html. Or netbeans
http://netbeans.org/ ,that can use GCC, GDB debugger, has a integrated JIT
debugger and can use Makefile too.

Best,