[IPOL discuss] matplotlib? [Re: courve 1D ...]

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Wed Oct 26 07:33:51 CEST 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 02:11:53PM +0200, Miguel Colom wrote:
> > I suggest also this python library : http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/
>
> It's important that no demo uses its own method to plot data.
> They should only used the standard script, because of maintenance
> reasons.

I like matplotlib, it is very convenient and produces very graphics in
many formats, but...

version 1.0.0 was released 2011-01-04
  This means the first stable API is less than one year old. I think
  it is fresh, some distributions won't come with this version (Debian
  stable has 0.99.3) and a script using matplotlib will probably have
  to be adapted to API changes in the coming years
  -> https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/blob/master/CHANGELOG
  -> http://packages.debian.org/python-matplotlib

matplotlib depends on many other software components
  Python (of course), NumPy, libgtk, libgcc, tcl/tk... which in turn
  need libglib, libx11, ...
  I think this dependencies are quite heavy for "drawing a curve", and
  some of the matplotlib features (interactive GUI) and the
  dependencies involved are nice on a   desktop but completely
  irrelevant on a server setup. In my opinion, matplotlib should be
  split in 2 parts (drawing tools and interactive graph tools) to be
  usable with IPOL.
  For the record, IPOL demos only depend on CherryPy, PIL and
  PySQLite. Only Python, libtiff/png/jpeg and libsqlite are needed, no
  X, no tcl/tk, no glib or gtk stuff required.
  -> http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/installing.html#build-requirements
  -> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/python-matplotlib

--
Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan    http://www.cmla.ens-cachan.fr/~limare/