[IPOL discuss] compiling for windows

Miguel Colom Miguel.Colom at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Wed Oct 26 21:33:26 CEST 2011

> Dear Miguel,
>         I don't really understand your comment. I can assure you I'm
> fully commited to promote and use open source software. But I also
> believe in the universality of access of science in general and IPOL
> in particular, and I think one of the ideas of IPOL is to give access
> to any researcher. We can for sure only support open source operating
> systems, but we are going to leave out a considerable part of the
> researchers which are not as enlightened as we are and still use
> propietary operating systems.

I didn't mean to start such a discussion, really.

Of course, I'm not saying that we should allow code that only works in
GNU/Linux systems. Code should be standard and independent from the
architecture it runs on.

The way the code has to be compiled or how the libraries have to be linked
in other operating systems isn't, in my opinion, a major issue.

Anyways, if finally a way to compile code for multiple platforms is
proposed (cmake, for example), I'll welcome it.

Miguel