[IPOL discuss] compiling for windows

Juan Cardelino juan.cardelino at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 21:04:29 CEST 2011

Dear Miguel,
        I don't really understand your comment. I can assure you I'm
fully commited to promote and use open source software. But I also
believe in the universality of access of science in general and IPOL
in particular, and I think one of the ideas of IPOL is to give access
to any researcher. We can for sure only support open source operating
systems, but we are going to leave out a considerable part of the
researchers which are not as enlightened as we are and still use
propietary operating systems.
Maybe I misunderstood the idea, or the policy of IPOL, or both. If the
policy will be: "the code runs only in linux and freebsd", that's fine
for me. But we  better make it clear.

If that's the case, my comment about dashboard is still in place. I've
use ubuntu since 5.04, and I've suffered many changes in gcc that
broke up otherwise working code. So even for supporting only one
flavour of linux, you still need some sort of automated compilation,
if you mean to provide long term availability of the code. Add to this
more linux distros, bsd derivatives and you have a good amount of OSs
to check.

Anyway, I don't think this kind of discussions is even productive.
Sorry for the noise.