[IPOL discuss] Propositions of changes in the presentation of the IPOL pages and demos

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Mon Oct 31 10:57:53 CET 2011

> 1) On the IPOL demo pages (top of the page):
>
> "This online demo executes the source code of the IPOL article
> <title of article>. If you use its results in a published content,
> please do not forget to quote the article <bibtex link of the
> article>".
>
> 2) In the "read me" of the source code, or in the code itself:
>
> "This  source code is published content of the IPOL article <title
> of article>. If you use its results in a published content, please
> do not forget to quote the article <bibtex link>".
>
> 3) In the archive pages (top of the page):
>
> "The experiments in this archive show the results obtained with the
> source code of the IPOL article <title of article>. If you use
> results in a published content, please do not forget to quote the
> article <bibtex link of the article>".

What is the "bibtex link"? There is the bibtex code (@article{blah
blah }), the URL link (http://wwww.ipol.im/.../) and the DOI link
(http://dx.doi.org/xxx), but not "bibtex link". If a link has to be
chosen, it is the DOI link.

We could also process all the demo output images (in the demo and/or in
the archive) with a little script to annotate the images with 2 tiny
lines of text, something like:
  IPOL http://www.ipol.im/
  algorithm and citation at http://dx.doi.org/10.5201/xxxxxx
With these annotations, no one would reuse the images in an article
without knowing some citation is needed. No copyright claim here, we
don't know where the image comes from.

For the surce code, I think the article location must at least be
mentioned ion the README.txt, and can aldo be in the code if the
authors want to.
But we have a problem here: if "bibtex link" means "DOI link", then
when the authors upload their code, they don't know yet their DOI
link, which is currently only attributed when the article is published.

2 solutions:
* update the source code after the article has been published (doesn't
  look very practical)
* attribute a DOI to every article when the submission process starts,
  then create or update the DOI metadata when it is finally published

--
Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan    http://www.cmla.ens-cachan.fr/~limare/