[IPOL discuss] ICC color profiles

Miguel Colom colom at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Mon Dec 10 19:58:18 CET 2012

> Please, no!
>
> This would lead to visually different results to visually identical images.
>
> In my opinion, the ICC profile should be treated like a pest, and
> stripped from the images at the point they touch the demo server (by
> the upload function, if possible).  Even if the user uploads an image
> with an ICC, the input images that are shown in the "params" page
> should contain no ICC data.  The user may complain that the upladed
> image looks different on the web than on his computer, but this is a
> minor problem compared to giving different results for images that
> look exactly the same.

Most of the software uses the ICC profile when it founds it. The photo
visualizers I use just change the colors silently and the browsers do
the same.

Therefore, it can't be ignored.

In summary, it seems that the best solution is:
1) The IPOL demo system reads the image pixels.
2) The IPOL demo system reads the image ICC color profile.
3) The IPOL demo system identifies the ICC profile, converts the
pixels to the  sRGB color space and then removes the ICC profile.
4) The C/C++ program processes the sRGB image without ICC.

Miguel