[IPOL discuss] ICC color profiles

eml enric.meinhardt at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Mon Dec 10 14:55:41 CET 2012

> In my opinion, what should be done is:
> 1) Read the image ICC.
> 2) Read the image pixels.
> 3) Process the image (C/C++ program).
> 4) Save the the output image pixels.
> 5) Embed the ICC into the output image.

Please, no!

This would lead to visually different results to visually identical images.

In my opinion, the ICC profile should be treated like a pest, and
stripped from the images at the point they touch the demo server (by
the upload function, if possible).  Even if the user uploads an image
with an ICC, the input images that are shown in the "params" page
should contain no ICC data.  The user may complain that the upladed
image looks different on the web than on his computer, but this is a
minor problem compared to giving different results for images that
look exactly the same.