[IPOL discuss] Software Guidelines

Loic Simon loic.simon at ensicaen.fr
Wed May 28 14:38:45 CEST 2014

Dear all,

This is a mere proposal concerning the IPOL software guidelines. It stems
from my own recent experience as section editor. In the final steps of the
editing process, I had to check that all the software guidelines were
followed by the authors. When it's a first time, the task is quite
cumbersome.

One particular point that I found not so obvious was the verification of
the computing resources

https://tools.ipol.im/wiki/ref/software_guidelines/#computing-resources

After Miguel kindly helped me, this turned out not to be so hard. And I
thought it could be helpful to others to make his knowledge public in the
guidelines themselves. Therefore I propose to add an explicit description
of the usage of ulimit in section 2.8 of the guidelines. Considering what
is recommended in the present, the usage example would look like that:

ulimit -m 1000000 -d 1000000 -v 1000000 -s 8000
progname args

where "progname args" stands for the call to the published software under
consideration.

Best regards,
Loïc Simon